Skip navigation

Behind the scenes

2 Posts tagged with the war_office tag
0

Guest post by Karolyn Shindler

 

On the eve of the declaration of war on 3 August 1914, The Times wrote: 'The great catastrophe has come upon Europe.' Over the course of the next few months my posts to the Behind the scenes blog will include excerpts from the upcoming October and January issues of evolve magazine. These will show how, 100 years ago to the day, the Museum contributed to the war effort in those first uncertain months:

Thursday 20 August 1914: The Museum's Trustees hold a meeting, 'to consider circumstances arising out of the war'. They are told that six assistants, seven attendants, one boy attendant, a taxidermist and a labourer have enlisted in the military. Two government departments, the War Office and the Admiralty, have requested clerical help.

 

The Museum agrees to loan the government between six and 10 attendants, and also certain assistants with 'special qualifications', who may be required. Some of the Museum's galleries may be needed to accommodate extra clerks, although not immediately. The Trustees are informed that the previous day, 19 August, army officers inspected the Museum with a view to its possible use as military barracks.

September–October 1914: Dr Francis Bather of the Geology Department reflects the anxieties of many when he writes in the Museum's journal: 'War is a great adjuster of values. Already its distant blaze throws into relief the vanities of life.' The flames, he wrote, shrivel up 'mere fripperies, till only that which is truly necessary has the strength to stand firm. And now even we museum curators may experience searchings of heart as we continue to enter our quiet halls to settle down to our accustomed routine'.

 

Bather's 'searchings' of his heart result in immediate action: he organises first aid training under the auspices of the Red Cross. Seventeen Museum officials attend and pass the training. There are two women among them, the palaeontologist Dorothea Bate, and Marjorie Bostock of the administrative staff.

12 October 1914: A lieutenant colonel of the Territorial Force applies for some of his men to visit the Natural History Museum for instruction, by their own Officers, on ‘the points of the horse’ and the ‘anatomy of the horse’, from specimens in the North Hall. Permission is granted and the North Hall is temporarily closed to the public.

17 October 1914: The Office of Works writes to the Museum suggesting that in view of the possibility of an attack on London by hostile aircraft, the Trustees might consider taking precautions to protect the most precious specimens, if they have not already done so.

22 October 1914: The Office of Works writes again, suggesting that the Spirit Building should be protected by a nine-inch (22.5cm) layer of sand spread over its roof.

29 October 1914: The Office of Works writes again, having worked out that the amount of sand they had suggested was more likely to lead to the collapse of the roof than protect it. ‘The only thing to be done, therefore, is to let the building take its chance’.

19 November 1914: Dr Francis Bather reports to the Trustees that the 17 members of staff who qualified as first aiders ‘are anxious to turn the knowledge acquired to some account’. He proposes they form a unit of the Voluntary Aid Detachment under the British Red Cross Society. To make sure work in the Museum is disrupted as little as possible, he suggests that no more than six personnel on any one day are on standby for emergency duty between 10.00 and 17.00.

 

Bather also suggests that perhaps two members of staff should give ‘not less than two hours' continuous service at a hospital daily… each taking duty once a week’. This means no one will be away from the Museum for more than two hours every 10 days. His proposals are accepted and the volunteers become the Natural History Museum Division of the 31st London Voluntary Aid Detachment.

28 November 1914: The Royal Naval Airship Station, Farnborough, sends the Museum (an air) balloon that has been damaged by some form of growth, asking what the cause is likely to be. The growth is examined by Charles Joseph Gahan, Keeper of Entomology. He reports: ‘Moths in rubbish left inside folds of the balloon when stored away appear to have caused the damage’.

December 1914–January 1915: At the request of the Admiralty, London University forms a Volunteer Anti-Aircraft Observation Corps, stationed at the top of the Imperial Institute Tower (now the Queen’s Tower at Imperial College) a few hundred yards behind the Museum.

 

The Museum is asked for volunteers from the ‘higher staff’. Sir Henry Miers, Principal of London University, requests that this is not included in the Museum’s minutes, as it is ‘inadvisable that any publicity should be given to the matter’. Five members of staff volunteer, including the Keeper of Zoology and future Museum Director, Dr Sidney Frederic Harmer.

 

A further seven members of staff enlist, bringing the total so far to 23.

23 January 1915: The Trustees instruct the Director, Dr Lazarus Fletcher, to prepare lists of members of the Museum staff absent on naval or military service, for exhibition in the entrance hall (now known as Hintze Hall) of the Museum. The Director informs the Trustees that the Volunteer Corps for Home Defence, Museum Section, has been formed – between 70 and 80 members of staff have indicated their wish to join. Recruits from neighbouring scientific institutions are also expected, to bring the corps to its full complement of 120 men. The troops are to drill in the Museum grounds during the remainder of the winter months, three evenings a week, from 4.45pm to 5.45pm. A pencilled amendment to this adds, ‘Provided that the grass on the Cromwell Road front be not used for drilling’.

25 February 1915: A letter is sent to the Museum from the Office of Works, marked Confidential. It states that attention has been directed to the danger, during the present crisis, ‘of bombs being conveyed into Public Offices, Museums etc, for the purpose of destroying property of national value or interest’. It suggests that all visitors who seek admission to the Museum and who carry bags or parcels should leave them with the doorkeepers or reveal the contents if they have to be taken into the building for business purposes.

27 February 1915: The Director reports to the Trustees that instructions have been given to the police ‘accordingly’. The Keepers report that objects of value have been removed from exhibition galleries ‘to places of greater safety, in view of the possible risk from bombs of hostile aircraft’. Zoological specimens of special rarity, including the great auk, the extinct starling of Mauritius and the dodo, have been placed in a steel case in the basement. The two most important geological department fossils, are, the Keeper Dr Arthur Smith Woodard reports, Archaeopteryx and the Piltdown skull.

 

The first is ‘already beneath four floors in the South East Pavilion’, and the second is ‘in a fire-proof safe in the Keeper’s room’. The Keeper of Mineralogy, George Thurland Prior, so far refuses to move anything, as he ‘has not considered the danger as sufficiently imminent to justify him in running the risk of damage to delicate specimens by removing them to other parts of the building not under his control’. However, ‘if considered desirable’, he would place a selection of the rarest and most valuable specimens in a safe in a suitable part of the basement. The vast insect collection is already in the basement, while the Keeper of Botany considers that his most valuable collection, the Sloane Herbarium, is ‘protected above by two floors’.

 

Happily for these irreplaceable specimens, the Keepers’ faith in the strength of the building is never put to the test.

 

Issue 22 of evolve is on sale now and the quarterly magazine is free to Members. Non-Members can copies online or in the Museum's shops.

 

Further WWI posts:

 

0

The Army Biscuit Enquiry

Posted by Amy Freeborn Aug 8, 2014

If an army marches on its stomach (as Napoleon famously proclaimed), then ensuring soldiers' food is of good quality is essential. So when British troops stationed abroad found themselves receiving tins of biscuits in their ration packs that were infested with moths and beetles, the Museum was called in to investigate the source of these 'injurious insects'.

 

In 1910, at the request of Brigadier-General S S Long, Director of Supplies for the British Army, sample tins of biscuits were withdrawn from stocks at various stations abroad and sent back to Britain for inspection at Woolwich Barracks by Museum entomologist Dr John Hartley Durrant.

 

Three possible points of infestation were considered: 1) at home before packing, 2) during transit, or 3) in the country where stored. However, as the biscuits were packed in hermetically sealed tins, it was presumed that - providing the tins weren't compromised - infestation must have taken place in the biscuit factories.

 

After careful examination of the tins at Woolwich, they were pronounced to be intact, but nevertheless, when opened, contained a foreign flour moth, Ephesita kuehniella, in various stages of development.

 

In his paper published in the June 1913 edition of the Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Dr Durrant said:

This proved conclusively that infestation had taken place in the factories before the tins were soldered, and indicated that preventative or remedial measures must be undertaken in the factories themselves.

infested-biscuits_700v2.jpg

Images from Durrant's paper showing moth-infested biscuits found in tins sent to troops stationed in South Africa and Mauritius.

 

So down to a biscuit factory in Bermondsey went Durrant to carry out some tests. From these tests he concluded:

 

  • Although it was a given that flour was 'often infested by insects in various stages of development' (perhaps modern-day health and safety excesses aren't so bad after all), if the flour was sifted through a mesh of 320 strands to the inch, that should be sufficient to eliminate ova.
  • Temperatures within the biscuits during baking quickly reached 95degC in the first few minutes, and continued to rise to around 100degC in the centre of the biscuit before the end of the baking period. Meanwhile, laboratory experiments showed that 60degC 'may probably be accepted as a maximum temperature above which it is unnecessary to go for the destruction of ova'.

 

Therefore, Durrant said:

We are of opinion that infestation of the biscuits must take place after baking, during cooling, and prior to the tins being soldered.

 

Durrant offered a series of suggestions, including:

 

  • Introducing 'screened cooled air during biscuit cooling to render it practically impossible for the moth to oviposit on the biscuits', and
  • 'Puncturing the biscuit tins before leaving the factory, raising the temperature to a lethal point, then re-soldering'.
  • He also alerted the Board of Agriculture that foreign moth species were present in the UK.

 

In 1915, to showcase Durrant's work, as well, perhaps, to show support for British efforts in the then-recently commenced World War I, the Museum made a public display of what it dubbed the Army Biscuit Enquiry.

 

army-biscuit-enquiry-700.jpg

The Army Biscuit Enquiry display: 'The research which has been carried out jointly by the War Office and the Museum has ensured the protection of Army Biscuits from the possibility of such attacks by insects in the future.'

 

The Museum made many important contributions to the military efforts during the war, in a wide range of areas, including supplying departmental expertise, furthering public education, providing public services and, of course, undertaking military service.

 

Further WWI posts: