Website terms and conditions of use
This legal notice applies to the entire contents of the website under the domain name www.nhm.ac.uk and to any correspondence between you and us and to any newsletters or publications downloaded by you or sent to you by us (the "website").
The Natural History Museum Trading Company ("NHM") whose address is Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD is responsible for the website.
In consideration of the NHM allowing you access to the website you are deemed to accept our terms and conditions of use. Please read them carefully. If you do not accept these terms and conditions of use, do not use the website.
Our terms and conditions of use may be changed. Please review them regularly. If you continue to use the website after a change has been made to the terms and conditions of use you are deemed to have accepted it.
1. Use of the website
The NHM or its licensors or contributors own the copyright and all other intellectual property rights in the material on the website. You may not copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, transmit, adapt or otherwise use any material on the website other than for your own personal non-commercial use.
You may not use the website:
- for the posting, uploading, emailing or other transmission of any material, the publication, dissemination, use or possession of which infringes the rights of any person or which is unlawful in any other respect;
- in any way which is abusive, defamatory or obscene or which will harass, distress or inconvenience any person or which might restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the website by any person;
- for the posting, uploading, emailing or other transmission of any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation or commercial exploitation;
- for the posting, uploading, emailing or other transmission of any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, restrict, destroy, limit the functionality of or compromise the integrity of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- to create a database (electronic or otherwise) that includes material downloaded or otherwise obtained from the website, without written permission from the NHM;
- to transmit or re-circulate any material obtained from the Website to any third party, without written permission from the NHM;
- in such a way so as to remove the copyright or trade mark notice(s) from any copies of any material made in accordance with these terms; or
- in any way that might bring NHM, any of its employees, volunteers or affiliates into disrepute.
You must be at least 18 years of age or be accessing the website with the full consent of a parent or guardian
2. Removal of material and access to the website
The NHM shall have the right to refuse to allow you access to the website or any part of it at any time and for any reason without giving you any advance notice.
The NHM shall have the right at any time and for any reason to remove from the website any material posted, uploaded, emailed or otherwise transmitted by you without giving you any advance notice.
Whilst effort has been taken to ensure that the website is free from viruses, the NHM gives no warranties that it is indeed free from viruses and you are responsible for ensuring that you have installed adequate virus checking software.
The NHM shall not be responsible for any viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, restrict, destroy, limit the functionality of or compromise the integrity of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or other material transmitted with or as part of the website or any other internet site.
Some of the pages on the website include links to external websites. These are for your convenience only. The NHM does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of these external websites.
5. Intellectual property rights
The NHM may publish any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to it or to the website at its sole discretion and it shall be entitled to make additions or deletions to any 1D0A such material prior to publication.
You hereby grant the NHM a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide licence to republish any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to them or to the website in any format including (without limitation) print and electronic format.
You hereby waive all of the moral rights that you have under Chapter IV of the of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 in respect of any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to the NHM or to the website.
6. Personal data
You agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself in any registration or subscription form you complete ("the registration information"). You agree to maintain and promptly update the Registration Information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
The NHM is registered under and will process your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
For more information please read our privacy notice.
New laws governing the use of website cookies and similar technologies for storing information came into effect in the UK on 26 May 2012. To understand how this affects your visit to the NHM website, please read our information about cookies.
7. Changes to the website terms and conditions of use
The website terms and conditions of use may be changed. Please review them regularly. If you continue to use the website after a change has been made you are deemed to have accepted it.
Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information on the website, no warranty is given as to its accuracy or completeness.
The NHM cannot guarantee that you will have uninterrupted access to the Website.
Notwithstanding anything else in these terms and conditions of use, to the fullest extent permitted by law NHM excludes all warranties (whether express or implied) and all liability to you in respect of the website, its content and your use of it.
9. Law and jurisdiction
These terms and conditions of use shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any disputes arising in relation to the website shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
If any of these terms or conditions of use should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable, it shall be deemed deleted and the remaining terms and conditions of use shall survive and continue to be binding and enforceable.
10. Comments and complaints
If you have any comments or complaints to make about the website please send them to Customer Services, the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD or email customer services.
Download these terms and conditions PDF (33.6 KB).
Last updated: 16 September 2014.