The Museum employs around 1,400 people in a variety of roles, including 300 scientists and more than 500 volunteers.
We are always looking for talented people to help maintain the Museum’s status as a renowned scientific institution and one of the most popular visitor attractions in the UK.
How to apply for a role at the Museum
Apply through our recruitment homepage:
- search our current vacancies and select the role you want to apply for
- you will need to register with the Museum to apply for a role
- once registered, you can log in and will be guided through your application
- make a note of your login details as you will need these to follow up your application(s) or update your contact details
- once you submit a complete application we will send you an acknowledgement email
Online application guidance
- you must provide a valid email address when registering as we will use this to contact you about your application
- once registered, you’ll need your login details to review or edit your application
- you can attach up to two supporting documents with your application
- to be considered for a role, you must answer the questions in our application forms (try to provide specific examples of how you meet each requirement and outline your relevant experience)
- you can download a job description for any vacancies at the Museum
Saving and submitting your application
You can save your online application and complete it at a later date. You will need to fill in some mandatory fields before you can save your application, but these can be edited later.
The Museum does not use automated screening tools – we review every application we receive personally.
Application forms are assessed to see how a candidate’s skills, qualifications and experience relate to the vacancy. Applicants who best match the requirements of the role will be selected for interview.
All candidates will receive an email regarding the outcome of their application.
Before starting at the Museum, all potential employees, volunteers, interns and work experience students must:
- pass security clearance
- pass occupational health clearance
- provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK
- provide references covering their last three years’ employment
There are many benefits available to Museum staff and volunteers:
- free entry to the Museum’s paid exhibitions
- free entry to a wide range of other museums in the UK
- 20 per cent discount in the Museum shop, as well as the Science Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum shops
- 10 complimentary tickets to temporary exhibitions for friends and family
- invitations to Museum parties
- access to our lectures, seminars and Nature Live events
- a Sports and Social Association offering a variety of activities (a small membership fee applies)
- employee assistance programme for all Museum staff and volunteers, and their families and partners
For permanent or fixed term Museum staff
Permanent employees receive some extra benefits from the Museum:
- annual leave (27.5 days from 1 February to 31 January plus eight bank holidays for full-time staff).
- learning and development opportunities.
- paid course fees and study leave for relevant qualifications.
- in-house training programmes such as coaching skills, presentation skills, project management and management development.
- funding for external conferences and membership to relevant professional bodies.
- interest-free loans for staff on contracts more than 12 months to buy season tickets and/or bicycles.
- childcare vouchers scheme, run by Edenred services.
- eye care voucher scheme, where permanent staff who use a computer screen for more than one hour per day can receive a free eye test (also applies to volunteers).
- enrolment into the Museum's pension scheme, a salary sacrifice scheme provided by FriendsLife, part of AVIVA (minimum employee contribution 4% of salary, deducted directedly from salary payments, matched by an 8% Museum contribution)
Diversity and disability
The Museum welcomes applications from candidates with disabilities. We are also accredited by Investors in People.
If you have a disability and require assistance to attend an interview, please let us know in your application.