The Museum employs around 1,400 people in a variety of roles, including 300 scientists and more than 500 volunteers.
We are always looking for talented people to help maintain the Museum’s status as a renowned scientific institution and one of the most popular visitor attractions in the UK.
How to apply for a role at the Museum
Apply through our recruitment homepage:
- search our current vacancies and select the role you want to apply for
- you will need to register with the Museum to apply for a role
- once registered, you can log in and will be guided through your application
- make a note of your login details as you will need these to follow up your application(s) or update your contact details
- once you submit a complete application we will send you an acknowledgement email
Before starting at the Museum, all potential employees, volunteers, interns and work experience students must:
- pass security clearance
- pass occupational health clearance
- provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK
- provide reference 1C6A s covering their last three years’ employment
There are many benefits available to Museum staff and volunteers:
- free entry to the Museum’s paid exhibitions
- free entry to a wide range of other museums in the UK
- 20 per cent discount in the Museum shop, as well as the Science Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum shops
- 10 complimentary tickets to temporary exhibitions for friends and family
- invitations to Museum parties
- access to our lectures, seminars and Nature Live events
- a Sports and Social Association offering a variety of activities (a small membership fee applies)
- employee assistance programme for all Museum staff and volunteers, and their families and partners
For permanent Museum staff
Permanent employees receive some extra benefits from the Museum:
- annual leave (27.5 days from 1 February to 31 January plus eight bank holidays for full-time staff)
- learning and development opportunities
- paid course fees and study leave for relevant qualifications
- in-house training programmes such as coaching skills, presentation skills, project management and management development
- funding for external conferences and membership to relevant professional bodies
- interest-free loans for staff on contracts more than 12 months to buy season tickets and/or bicycles
- childcare vouchers scheme, run by Edenred services
- eye care voucher scheme, where permanent staff who use a computer screen for more than one hour per day can receive a free eye test (also applies to volunteers)
Jobs at the Museum
Find and apply for our latest vacancies.
Diversity and disability
The Museum welcomes applications from candidates with disabilities. We are also accredited by Investors in People.
If you have a disability and require assistance to attend an interview, please let us know in your application.